MUNICIPALITY OF BIÑAN (LAGUNA), Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data MUNICIPALITY OF BIÑAN (LAGUNA), Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data


Municipality of Biñan, Laguna

About these Historical Data

[p. 1]



I. Present Official Name of the Town: BIÑAN.
A. Biñan as it stands today:
1. Location - Bounded by San Pedro in the north; Carmona in the west; Santa Rosa in the south; and Laguna de Bay in the east.
2. Climate - Seldom visited by typhoons. Has distinct dry and wet seasons.
3. Soil - Fertile. Excellent for agricultural purposes.
4. Transportation Facilities - Motor and horse drawn vehicles. Three big transportation companies are operated by the townspeople. They are the BIÑAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, THE LAGUNA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, and the SOUSA TRANSPORTATION CO.
5. People - Very enterprising and industrious.
6. Its Progress - Very progressive along educational and economic lines. Has 3 high institutions of learning — The Lake Shore High School and the Lake Shore Academy of Music; the Grinhar College; and the Santa Catalina College. Has more than 800 professionals and successful businessmen, 27 of whom occupy key positions in the government and big business firms. Has more than 100 factories which turn out thousands of pairs of shoes, wooden shoes, and slippers. Its "puto Biñan" makes this town famous, too.
II. The Discover of Biñan by Capt. Salcedo:
A. Year of conquest and discovery - 1688.
B. Purpose of the conquest - To spread religion and to acquire lands.
C. The occupation - Capt. Salcedo and his men were able to occupy Biñan only after the natives of Malaban, a barrio of Biñan along the seashore, were down and out in a fierce encounter.
III. The Name of Biñan - Its Meaning and Derivation:
A. Biñan means "banian," a tree which was supposedly flourishing in the locality upon the arrival of the Spaniards.
B. Biñan was derived from the word "binyagan," meaning the place where the early Spaniards baptized the natives and the nearby people of the surrounding villages.
C. Biñan was derived from the nickname "Viniang," from the Christian name Virginia.
IV. The early inhabitants:
A. Their appearance - Short, with dark eyes, flat nose, and thick lips.
B. Their civilization - Had homes and wore clothes. Knew how to catch fish, hunt animals, and cook their food. Knew simple farming. Had an alphabet and a recorded literature. Knew how to make ornaments and weapons.
V. Establishment of the Town of Biñan:
A. For about two years, the locality was ruled or governed by the municipal officials of Cabuyao, Laguna. Its church was under the parish of Cabuyao.
B. Local autonomy was secured in 1690. For lack of qualified natives and Spaniards, the parish priest, a Dominican friar, ruled the town for over three years.
VI. The land of Biñan:
A. Area - 3,474, 473 Ha.
B. Supposed reasons why it became friars' land:
1. Given to the Dominican order by the King of Spain as a reward.
2. Bequeathed by a Filipino devout Catholic to the church before her death.
3. Claimed by the friars from the natives.
C. The land was given back to the natives during the American regime. It was acquired by purchase from the Spaniards in the amount of [unreadable] sold to the people on easy and long installment plans [the rest of this page is unreadable]

[p. 2]

1. As parish priest, Father Francisco Ligaso completed the construction of the town's belfry. This was in 1840.
2. Construction of the parish church in 1875 by Father Ambrosio Villafranca.
3. Construction of the Spanish mansions which served as residences of the church dignitaries and the capitanes and their families. Today, a few of these houses are landmarks of the town.
Town During the Revolutionary Period:
It was peaceful during the first outbreak of the revolution. The people heard of it only after it was all over.
There were troubles and violence during the second outbreak of the revolution.
Spaniards and natives alike were kidnapped and shot to death.
During the American Rule:
The first municipal president was appointed by the governor-general.
The first elected mayor was Edilberto Ocampo who, after serving two months, was exiled for subversive activities and giving aid and comfort to the insurrectos. This was in 1902.
On Historical Sites, Structures, Buildings, and Old Ruins:
The town church was built by the Dominican friars in 1862 to 1875. This was destroyed by an earthquake on June 22, 1880.
The belfry was built in 1840 and completed in 1841. Destroyed also by an earthquake in June 1880.
The "Fuente de Isabel" was constructed by Capitan Eduardo Gana in May 1850.
This was replaced by the "Tulay na Colgante" during the term of office of Agustin Gana due to its dilapidated condition. On Sept. 28, 1948, this bridge was demolished and a steel bridge was constructed instead. This bridge is now known as the EVANGELISTA BRIDGE, named after its benefactor.
The Rizal Monument - Completed on May 14, 1918 at a cost of ₱4,000.00.
The Rizal Marker - Constructed in October 1948 and unveiled on Dec. 30, 1948.
The "Lambingan Bridge" - Constructed in June 1940 and destroyed by the retreating Americans in Jan. 1942. Reconstructed by the Japs on June 15, 1942. Destroyed again by the Japs during their retreat to Los Baños in 1944. Rebuilt with War Damage Funds in Jan. 1945.
The "Casa Tribunal" - The former municipal building now in ruins. This is now the site of the town's glorietto.
The Doña Aurora Site and Building - Acquired by purchase in 1937. On Sept. 26, 1937, the cornerstone of the building was laid by the late Doña Aurora Aragon Quezon. To date, the building is still incomplete. Only the hall and 5 rooms have been constructed with a total cost of ₱49,058.28.
The "Natividad Morales Bayani Building" - Built with PTA funds realized from a beauty contest for the MUTYA NG BIÑAN. Total cost of the building, including its furniture, is over ₱20,000.00
The "Evangelista Grandstand" - Built with sweepstakes funds. Total cost of the building with the fencing of the athletic field was about ₱35,000.00.
Important Facts, Incidents, and Events:
During the Spanish Period:
1. Natives lost their rights of ownership to their lands.
2. More than ½ of the houses were razed to the ground by the fires that occurred on Aug. 31, 1809 and on Feb. 2, 1814.
3. The belfy was destroyed by an earthquake in June 1880. And so was the town church and the "Casa Tribunal."
4. Cholera epidemics in 1882 and 1889. More than ⅔ of the natives died.
During the American Rule and the Republic:
1. Cholera epidemic on May 23, 1902. It started in the house of Vicente Almeda, Hermano Mayor for the 9th day festivities of the patron saint.
2. A big fire occurred on August 28, 1904. More than 600 families were rendered homeless.
3. The MRS inaugurated its service to the town [rest of the line unreadable].
4. In 1911, artesian wells were built in [rest of the line unreadable].

[p. 3]

5. A rich Chinaman, Miguel Lim-Aco, was robbed on June 29, 1915. The bandits wrought havoc and terror on the people of Biñan as they carted away their loot.
6. In 1919, the barrios of de la Paz and Malaban were under water for over two months. The prices of commodities rose sky-high, especially rice, which sold at ₱0.75 a ganta.
7. The first show house, THE CINE LIGAYA, was inaugurated and opened to the public.
8. On Dec. 25, 1920, the cornerstone of the town's glorietta was laid on the site of the ruins of the "Casa Tribunal."
9. The town proper was underwater from August 13, 1931. Bancas were used by vendors to sell their goods to the people right in their homes.
10. The Lake Shore High School was opened to high school students (June 1932).
11. The Grinbar College was opened in June 1946.
12. The Santa Catalina College was established in 1946.
XIII. Destruction to Lives and Properties:
A. Only a handful of the townspeople were killed during the occupation.
B. The Japs did not have the time to burn the houses of kill the people.
XIV. Measures and Accomplishments Toward Rehabilitation:
A. The bridges named above were reconstructed with funds appropriated by the War Damage Commission and the National Government.
Transcribed from:
Historical Data of the Municipality of Biñan, Laguna, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.
Next Post Previous Post