MUNICIPALITY OF LUISIANA (LAGUNA), Historical Data of Part I - Philippine Historical Data MUNICIPALITY OF LUISIANA (LAGUNA), Historical Data of Part I - Philippine Historical Data


Municipality of Luisiana, Laguna



About these Historical Data

[Cover page]

District of Luisiana


District Supervisor



These curriculum materials, based on the actual condition of the community, coupled with its local social heritage, is of paramount importance to teachers and to learners just as well. Much has been said and written about subjects of this kind, but this sort of collection may strengthen further the know-what of this town. Previous research proved futile in the reconstruction of records, so much so that through this collection, we can glance back at the years of occupation. To this end, we can formulate a comparative study of how our community progressed in the last hundred years.

All data contained herein were gathered by various committees with personal interviews with people of different barrios of this town.

To make these contributions interesting, folkways and folklores with the past and present social life are integrated. This will enable teachers to use in almost all the grade subjects, including music. It will also provide for the use of fundamental reading habits and skills.

Grateful acknowledgement is then made of Roman F. Lorenzo, Division Superintendent, Roman G. Cortez, Supervising Principal, and Felizardo Geronzillo, Principal, for their able guidance and valuable suggestions; to the responsible people of the town and particular barrios who voluntarily and unselfishly conveyed to the teachers the most needed information to write this pamphlet; to Lucino Rosas, Municipal Secretary, for his materials on the history of the town; to the [unreadable] the "minute" [unsure, blurred] for a complete history of the town; and everyone who helped in making this collection a possibility.


[p. 1]

District of Luisiana


LUISIANA, the official name of one of the municipalities of Laguna, was derived from the combined names of its founders, Luis and his wife Ana.

This town, at its beginning, was a barrio of Majayjay. The first name given to this barrio settlement was "Nasunog," meaning a burnt region. In 1825, the leaders of the barrio folks made the first attempts to establish a town in this place. The religious families who lived in the barrio of Nasunog encountered many difficulties in going to and from Majayjay to attend to their material and spiritual needs. Thus, they were prompted to separate from the town proper and maintain a town of their own. The first attempts were unsuccessful because of the bitter opposition presented by the parish priest of Majayjay. In spite of their failure, the leader of the movement continued to work for the separation of their barrio from Majayjay. After more than a decade, the establishment of "visits" was approved. That was on October 3, 1837. Later, on November 9, 1837, the site for the town proper, called Ibabang Nasunog, was selected as the location of the town. [unreadable] the visit of Nasunog was under the jurisdiction of Majayjay. [unreadable] elected their own "teniente absoluto", [unreadable] first one to secure this post in that year. [unreadable]

[p. 2]

the decreee recognizing the town of Luisiana was signed by Governor General Claveria and issued. Thus, this town of Luisiana was born after two decades of struggle by the leaders of the town.

The man who pioneered the establishment of this town, and who was greatly responsible for its foundation, was Don Luis Bernardo. He was helped by his brothers, Salvador Bernardo and Apolonio San Juan; and his first-degree cousin, Melencio Alcantara. These men were the retired cabezas de barangay from Majayjay.

The men who held leading official positions in the community, together with the different facts and incidents that took place are as follows:

1837 - The site of the town, called Ibabang Nasunog, was selected. The inhabitants selected their officials to govern the "visita." They were Luis Bernardo, Teniente Absoluto; Melencio Alcantara, Teniente Segundo; Mariano Juan, Juez Mayor; Pedro San Juan, Juez Segundo; and the aguacillos or peace officers were Pedro de los Santos and Pascual de la Cruz.

1838 - Luis Bernardo was still the Teniente Absoluto. The work on the construction of the "ermita" was begun. After six months, Luis died and Melencio Alcantara succeeded him. The work on the chapel was finished and it was blessed by Father Jose de Mora, the parish priest of Majayjay. The sponsor was Salvadora Villasemor de Nepomuceno of Lucban, Quezon.

[p. 3]

1839 - Jose Bernardo was the Teniente Absoluto. In the month of October, a strong typhoon blew over the town for two consecutive Fridays. Many houses were destroyed, including the chapel.

1840 - Alejo Concepcion, Teniente Absoluto. He finished the reconstruction of the Ermita, which was blessed in March by Father Antonio Roman, parish priest of Majayjay, with Silvino de Villaseñor of Lucban as the sponsor.

1841 - Juan Mariano, Teniente Absoluto. The troops of the Spanish infantry passed at this place going to Tayabas.

1842 - Ignacio de la Torre, Teniente Absoluto.

1843 - Melencio Alcantara, Teniente Absoluto.

1844 - Leoncio San Juan, Teniente Absoluto.

1845 - Venancio Buenaventura, Teniente Absoluto. The final approval for the separation of the visita from the town of Majayjay. The decree was signed and issued on December 11 of this year. However, the separation would be revoked if the inhabitants would not be able to put up a church and a convent made of stone.

1846 - Venancio Buenaventura, Governadorcillo. By virtue of a decree, the name Teniente Absoluto was changed to Governadorcillo. The house and lot belonging to Feliciano S. Andres was bought, and the construction of the Casa Tribunal or Municipal Building was begun.

1847 - Ignacio de la Torre, Governadorcillo.

1848 - Jose Bernardo, Governadorcillo. The local cha-

[p. 4]

pel was able to acquire bells. The bigger one was bought through donations and contributions, while the smaller one was given by the parish priest of Majayjay, Antonio Roman.

By an order of the Governor General, the surnames of the residents were changed. The changes were: Bernardo became Estrellado; Alcandara - Roaza; San Juan - Romulo; Buenaventura - Peñalosa; Concepcion - Murillo; San Jose - Lorico; Padingalan - Oracion; and others.

1849 - Jose San Juan, Governadorcillo. The construction of the schoolhouse was begun.

1850 - Felix Peñalosa, Governadorcillo.

1851 - Manual Esperanza, Governadorcillo.

1852 - Leoncio Romulo, Governadorcillo. This year, the archbishop came and performed Confirmation rites. He also made an ocular inspection of the site for the location of a stone church.

1853 - Doroteo Villatuya, Governadorcillo - The request to have a curate in this town and for the building of a stone church was presented, together with the plans of the proposed church. This incumbent governadorcillo stayed in office for seventeen months because of the promulgation of a new ruling which provided for the changing of the governadorcillo in June of every year instead of January as was done previously.

1854 - Pedro Estrellado, Governadorcillo. The frame-

[p. 5]

work of the convent was changed and the posts were made of stone.

1855 - Juan Paglingalan, Governadorcillo. A reservoir for lime, the essential element in making stone structures, was made.

1856 - Venancio Peñalosa, Governadorcillo. On Monday, October 17, there was a strong typhoon. The church was destroyed except for the main altar.

1857 - Guardino [unsure, blurred] Estrellado, Governadorcillo.

1858 - Manuel Esperanza, Governadorcillo. The cementing of the stone church was begun.

1859 - Francisco Natividad, Governadorcillo.

1860 - Alejo Murillo, Governadorcillo.

1861 - Cayetano Suello, Governadorcillo. He began the construction of roads inside the town.

1862 - Gervacio Quevor, Governadorcillo. On Wednesday afternoon, June 3, there was a strong earthquake. The government asked for wood and bamboo from this place to be sent to Manila, where many edifices were destroyed.

1963-1964 - Andres Teope, Governadorcillo. In May 1863, the provincial heads of Laguna and Tayabas met at this town to fix the boundary between Luisiana and Lucban. The following year, on August 12, the provincial heads of the said provinces met again at this town to plant boundary posts (mojones).

1865-1866 - Agustin Apostol, Governadorcillo.

[p. 6]

1867-1868 - Manuel Esperanza, Governadorcillo.

1869-1870 - Jose Peñalos, Governadorcillo.

1871 - Vicente Tolentino, Governadorcillo. The construction of a schoolhouse with a stone foundation was begun.

1872 - Andres Teope, Governadorcillo. The schoolhouse was finished. On May 12, there was a fire. Almost the northern half of the town was burned, including the municipal building, the church, and the convent.

1873-1874 - Felipe Estrellado, Governadorcillo. On October 4, Friday night, of the year 1873, there was a very strong typhoon. Many houses were destroyed, even those made of strong materials.

During the term of the incumbent, he was able to construct the headquarters of the Guardia Civil, which was built inside the town.

1875-1876 - Jose Peñalos, Governadorcillo.

1877-1878 - Regino Apunda [unsure, blurred], Governadorcillo.

1879-1880 - Andres Teope, Governadorcillo.

1881-1882 - Andres Velasquez, Governadorcillo.

1883-1887 - Pioquinto Fabricante, Governadorcillo. In 1883, the enforced labor law was reformed. Instead of 40 days compulsory labor, with penalties for absencias, this was changed into a voluntary personal presentation of at least fifteen days labor a year for every male citizen.

In 1884, the cedula law was increased to one peso and

[p. 7]

fifty centavos. The schoolhouse made of stone and brick roof was finished. It was located where the former municipal building was.

In 1886, the cemetery was enclosed with stone walls. The materials were secured from the male citizens of the town. This "capitan," was the governadorcillo was called, permitted the establishment of stores in the nearby town plaza. He assumed his office on July 1, 1883 and was relieved on July 1, 1887.

1887-1888 - Isidoro Palad, Governadorcillo. Pioquinto Fabricante, Justice of the Peace.

It was during this administration when the sidewalks along the roads of the town were built at the expense of the owners of the lots.


1889-1890 - Pedro Ibañez, Governadorcillo. There was an outbreak of epidemics of malaria, smallpox, and beriberi. Almost all members in a house were affected, at at times, a person would be found wrapped in a mat, already dead and in state of decay. The priest, Father Manuel Garcia, refused to officiate rites for the dead, unless it was in accordance with his wishes, so that many people suffered financially.

1891-1892 - Jose Suala, Governadorcillo, Gregorio Concepcion, Justice of the Peac.e

The town became indebted with a great amount in taxes due


Transcribed from:
Historical Data of the Municipality of Luisiana, Province of Laguna, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.
Next Post Previous Post