MUNICIPALITY OF SAN NARCISO, QUEZON, Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data MUNICIPALITY OF SAN NARCISO, QUEZON, Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data

MUNICIPALITY OF SAN NARCISO, QUEZON, Historical Data of

San Narciso, Quezon

About these Historical Data

[Cover page]

BUREAU OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Division of Quezon
DISTRICT OF SAN NARCISO
San Narciso

HISTORICAL DATA OF
THE MUNICIPALITY OF SAN NARCISO, QUEZON
School Year 1952-1953

Respectfully submitted:

SALVADOR E. MAGTIBAY
Elementary School Principal

APPROVED:

JOSE M. CAMPOS
District Supervisor

sem/

[p. 2]

1

BUREAU OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS
District of Quezon
DISTRICT OF SAN NARCISO
San Narciso

May 10, 1953

The Division Superintendent of Schools
Lucena, Quezon

S i r :

In compliance with the contents of General Memorandum No. 34, s. 1952 and Division Circular Letter dated May 21 and October 21, 1952, I have the honor to submit the report on the historical data of the municipality of San Narciso, Province of Quezon for the present school year 1952–1953.

I – HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

The municipality of San Narciso was founded in the year 1846 by Don Narciso Claveria, then Spanish Governor General of the Philippines. On his official visit to the place, Governor General Narciso Claveria found three small villages called Abuyon, Maayas, and Sugbungkugon, located along the eastern coast of Bondoc Peninsula, overlooking Ragay Gulf. These villages were only a few kilometers away from one another and were sparsely populated. Governor General Claveria finding the locations of these communities were not suitable town sites, have conferred with all the Cabezas de Barangays for the consolidation and transfer of these villages to the present site of the municipality of San Narciso, it being in opinion, the only place during that time which offered many advantages and opportunities for advancement and prosperity of the people.

[p. 3]

The inhabitants of these villages agreed to the proposition of the Spanish Governor General Claveria, and as a token or gesture of satisfaction and gratitude, they named the place "SAN NARCISO" in honor of Don Narciso Claveria.

II - GEOGRAPHICAL DATA:

The municipality of San Narciso is situated in the Southeast of the Bondoc Peninsula. It is bounded by the municipality of Mulanay in the West; by Ragay Gulf in the East; by the municipality of Buenavista in the North; and by Sibuyan Sea in the South. The whole municipality comprises twenty-two (22) small and big barrios including Poblacion covering up an area of approximately one thousand (1000) square kilometers. Its population at present is less than nine thousand (9,000).

III - HISTORICAL INFORMATION OF THE DIFFERENT BARRIOS:

The historical information of the twenty-two (22) barrios including Poblacion are succinctly narrated as follows:

1. ABUYON:

This is one of the three original towns or villages comprising the old municipality of San Narciso. It is situated along the eastern coast of Bondoc Peninsula, overlooking Ragay Gulf. It is about nine kilometers (9) from the Poblacion. Literally, Abuyon means "ABO IYON" in vernacular and in English translation-those are ashes. According to the story of the old folks, Abuyon acquired

[p. 4]

its present name when cattle traders from the Bicol provinces, while crossing Ragay Gulf in a sailing boat called vinta, sighted the progressive town of Abuyon. Thinking that these Bicolano traders were asking the white ashes glistening on the mountain clearings, the Tagalog fishermen informed them that those were "ABO IYON" meaning ashes. Since then this flourishing town came to be known as ABUYON. Its present population is six hundred in round figure.

At present, Abuyon is one of the three barrio schools having complete elementary course with a teaching force of five including the head teacher. This year, Abuyon ranks second to Poblacion in food production activities. The infiltration of dissidents within the environs or vicinity has considerably hindered the progressive of this place for the past three years.

2. ALIBIHABAN

This barrio is named after Datu Alib, who discovered this place. Legend tells us that long time ago, there lived a Datu by the name of Alib at the mountain side of Bondoc Peninsula. Every day, Datu Alib and his faithful servant usually went out of sea to fish. One night, while fishing, a furious and terrific storm came at a sudden. Giving up their hope of rescue, they suddenly heard a tiny voice leading them to a safe place. Datu Alib then called his people to settle the new found land and since then the place gradually progressed and later named the place ALIBIHABAN. Its present population is 100 in round figure.

At present, There are eighty-one pupils enrolled in this barrio school, with two teachers.

[p. 5]

3. ANDRES BONIFACIO:

The barrio of Andres Bonifacio was formerly a part of Pinagsama. But in the year 1939, the municipal council of Mulanay passed a resolution declaring the barrio of Andres Bonifacio an independent and a separate part of Pinagsama. It is named after our Great Plebian and founder of Katipunan. – ANDRES BONIFACIO. Its population is 182.

The infiltration of dissidents during the past three years had considerably hindered the progress of Andres Bonifacio.

4. BINAY:

Binay was formerly a part of the barrio of San Juan. But, due to its growing population and progress, it became separated from the barrio of San Juan in 1890 by a municipal resolution of Mulanay. The present barrio of Binay is named after the wife of a Datu locally called Tandang Bina, who had helped much the people during drought. The present population of Binay is 452.

At present, the barrio of Binay has a complete elementary course, with a teaching force of five teachers. Likewise, this place has been frequently visited by dissidents, which greatly retard the progress during the past years.

5. BUENAVISTA:

The name BUENAVISTA meaning beautiful view was first named by the Spaniards. It is about three (3) kilometers from the Poblacion and with a population of approximately 292. There is no historical information about this barrio.

[p. 6]

6. CAMPLORA: The barrio of Camplora is just a few kilometers away from the Poblacion, having named after a beautiful woman, FLORA. Its present population is 234. There is no historical information available in the Office of the Municipal Mayor.

7. GUINHALINAN: The barrio of Guinhalinan is about fifteen kilometers from the Poblacion. Its population at present is 162. Like other barrios, this place had been frequented by dissidents during the past three years. There are no schools yet organized in this place.

8. LAKDAYAN: The barrio of Lakdayan gets its name from the word - lakdayan ng mga Moro between the places of Tibig and Patihan where the Moros either ambushed their enemies or molested the passers-by. In the year 1908, the municipal council of Muhamay passed a resolution naming the places between Tibig and Patihan LAKDAYAN. Its present population is 231. There are no schools organized yet in this barrio.

9. KALWIT: So far, the barrio of Kalwit is the nearest in the whole municipality of San Narciso. It is approximately less than two kilometers from the town. There is no historical data available in the Mayor’s Office. Its population is about 180. There is no school yet organized in this barrio this year.

[p. 7]

10. MAGUITING: The barrio of Maguiting was named after a brave and courageous man, MAGUITING, who ably defended the place against the furious and cruel invading moros during the spanish times. In the local dialect, maguiting symblies bravery. Its population is 136, with no school yet organized in this barrio. The presence of dissidents within the vicinity has greatly retarded the progress of this barrio.

11.- MANLAMPONG: There is no historical data available in the Office of the Municipal Mayor at present. However, record shows that there are one hundred thirty-six inhabitants peacefully living in this place.

12.- MANGIRO: Mangiro is one the farthest barrios of San Narciso, approximately about twenty-five kilometers from the Poblacion. Its population at present is 162. There is school which houses forty pupils under an old teacher, Mr. Juan Osana.

13.- MEDENILLA: Medenilla was formerly a part of the barrio of Guinhalinan. In the year 1936, this place was separated from Guinhalinan, which later adopted the name San Jose by a municipal resolution of Mulanay. However, in 1939, the municipal council of San Narciso, being an independent municipality this time, passed a resolution changing San Jose to MEDENILLA, a man who have done much for the good of town since San

[p. 8]

Narciso secured her separation from the municipality of Mulamay. And in fact, as a token of everlasting gratitude to him, the people elected him again as Mayor in the last election. Its population is 210. The presence of Huks near or within the vicinity has greatly retarded its progress during the past years.

14. PANSOY.

The barrio of Pansoy is named after an industrious man, Mr. Juansoy Medenilla, who first settled this place and converted the vast wilderness into a productive land. During his long stay, many children and grandchildren were being raised up and who, later helped him cleared the vast idle lands. According to the old folks’ story, whenever Mr. Juansoy Medenilla affectionately known as ANSOY returned home after the day’s work in the field his grandchildren would greet the old man outside calling him PA-ANSOY. Since then, the place came to be known as PANSOY. Population - 284.

There is school organized in this place, which presently houses a combination classes 1-II under Mr. Andres Elloso.

15.- PINAGSAMA.

The barrio of Pinagsama is about six kilometers away from the Poblacion and with the population of approximately 100 in round figure. At present, a temporary school building is built, which houses combinations classes I-II & III-IV under Mrs. and Mr. Aureada, respectively. No historical data is available this year.

16. POBLACION. This is the most thickly populated area of the whole

[p. 9]

municipality of San Narciso, with a population of less than two thousand inhabitants. During the present school year there are five hundred and ten pupils enrolled in the Central and with a teaching force of thirteen including the principal teacher. No historical data is now available in the Office of the Municipal Mayor.

17. PUNTA:

The barrio of Punta is about nine (9) kilometers from the Poblacion with a population of 580. It is named after its geographical location coming from the word - POINT. Due to its growing population and progress, it became an independent barrio in 1937. No historical data is available at present.

A complete primary course is being offered in Punta Barrio School this year under two teachers.

18. RIZAL

The original name of the present barrio of Rizal was CAMPETOR, named after a powerful Datu. In 1904, a resolution gathered Mr. Pelagio Fontanilla, was passed by the Municipal Council of San Narciso changing the barrio of Campetor into RIZAL in honor to the greatest Malayan leader, Dr. Jose Rizal. In the local parlance, Rizal means abundance in foods. Its population is 215. No schools have been organized yet in this place since its existence.

19. SAN ANDRES:

The barrio of San Andres ranks second in population having more than one thousand inhabitants and probably the biggest barrio school in this municipality at present. The school population is about

[p. 10]

three hundred fifty and with a teaching force of eight including the head teacher.

During the pre-spanish days, runs the old story, the original name of San Andres was Sugbong-cogon, situated about five (5) kilometers south of the present site of San Andres, presently called Binayahan. But due to the infiltration of moro pirates in this place resulting to the capture of many male inhabitants, the people scampered and moved to the present site during the spanish time. Later, this place was re-named Puyay, it being near the mouth of Puyay River, now San Andres river.

With the growing population, the inhabitants predominantly, catholics constructed a church of their own and agreed to have Saint Andres as the town patron. The place was later re-baptized to San Andres and have never changed since then.

20. SAN JUAN.

San Juan was formerly a part of the Maayas, one the three original towns of San Narciso. Its first name was Barrahan Ng Mga Banca. In 1908, the municipal council of Mulanay passed a resolution changing the name of Barrahan to San Juan in honor to Saint San Juan.

The barrio of San Juan has a temporary school building which houses four grades (primary) under two female teachers. Its population is 427.

21. TALA.

Tala is named after a beautiful maiden by the name of Tala during the Spanish regime. It is one of the remotest barrios.

[p. 11]

in the municipality having a population of approximately more than two hundred frequently disturbed by the presence of dissidents within the vicinity during the past three years. It has a temporary school building having an enrolment of 81 under two teachers. There is no historical information that could be gathered from the old folks.

22. VIGO-KANTIDANG:

Originally, the name of this barrio was Diego, a brave and courageous warrior who successfully defended the place from the invading Moro pirates during the Spanish times. However, in the year 1908, the municipal council of Mulanay passed a resolution changing the name of Diego to VIGO-KANTIDANG.

The barrio of Vigo-Kantidang has a temporary school building having an enrolment of more than eighty under the tutorship of two teachers. Its population is about 438.

IV- OUTSTANDING PERSONS WHO CONTRIBUTED MUCH TO THE PROGRESS OF THE COMMUNITY DURING THE SPANISH REGIME.

1. FATHER FRANCISCO MENDIETA SAN BUENAVENTURA.

Father Francisco Mendieta is the man directly responsible for the consolidation and unity of the three original towns of San Narvisco. Besides being the founder, Father Mendieta was credited for having constructed the first catholic church in the town. He died on February 25, 1872.

2. FATHER FLORENTINO TUASON Y ORTEGA

To his credit goes the construction of a big convent

[p. 12]

on December 17, 1874. It was also Father Tuason who initiated the construction of a cemetery outside the town. Unfortunately, the convent and the church were completely destroyed by a conflagration on March 30, 1907, and the cemetery was ordered closed by the Bureau of Health in 1904 due to its unsanitary conditions.

3. FATHER CARIAS

Father Carias was the priest who started reconstructing the destroyed church and made improvements over the roofs of the church. He was much loved by the people of San Narciso.

4. FATHER JOSE ABSULIO

It was at the time of Father Absulio when the first high school in San Narciso was organized and later named as St. Joseph High School. He is the most loved priest by San Narciso.

V- OUTSTANDING PERSONS WHO CONTRIBUTED MUCH TO THE PROGRESS OF SAN NARCISO DURING THE SPANISH CIVIL GOVERNMENT.

1. CAPTAIN JOSE RAMOS FONTILARA

Captain Fontilara shared the honor with Father San Buenaventura in effecting the consolidation of the three original villages into the present municipality of San Narciso.

2. ANACETO FONTANILLA

It was during the incumbency of Mr. Anaceto Fontanilla when there was complete peace and order, having received firearms and ammunitions from the Spanish government.

3. CANDIDO VILLASEÑOR

It was under the rule of Candido Villasenor when the first local election was being held. The municipality had progressed

[p. 13]

much along the economics and political activities. He served his people for two consecutive terms.

4. CAPTAIN ALFONSO AUREADA:

This man is remembered as the savior of the town against the invading moro pirates. Because of his leadership and courage, he successfully defended his town for many years.

5. CAPTAIN MIGUEL CARABILIDO:

Under his leadership, bridges and streets were constructed and built contributing therefore to the conveniences of the pedestrians. He is sometimes called the road-building captain of San Narciso.

6. CAPTAIN FELIPE RIBARGOSO:

Captain Ribargoso is credited for having constructed the road connecting the municipality of Mulanay to San Narciso. He constructed also two public water wells, and two school buildings to house the school children.

VI- OUTSTANDING PERSONS WHO CONTRIBUTED MUCH TO THE PROGRESS OF THE TOWN DURING THE AMERICAN MILITARY GOVERNMENT.

1. PELAGIO FONTANILLA

During the administration of Mr. Fontanilla, school buildings were built, water wells constructed, and streets were improved. Likewise, church and cemetery were re-constructed and made sanitary.

2. MR. FORTUNATO CARAOS:

Mr. Caraos was the man responsible for the construc-

[p. 14]

tion of the municipal building of San Narciso. Through his tact, industry, patience, and leadership the building was completely finished or erected during his administration.

In an executive order of the Governor General No. 86, the municipality of San Narciso was separated from Mulanay and declared independent on December 7, 1952 and without any formal election, the following officials were duly selected and elected:

Mr. Pelagio Fontanilla
Mr. Gregorio Caraballido
Mr. Esteban Fontamillas
Mr. Gaudencio Medenilla
Mr. Fortunato Caraos
Mr. Filoteo Fontanilla eq
Mr. Elias Pempeno
Mr. Leoncio Medenilla
President
Vice-President
Councilor
"
"
"
"
"

The administration of Mr. Pelagio Fontanilla as the first elected president now Mayor was characterized with many tangible improvements such as the construction of buildings, water wells, school buildings, roads, and bridges.

3. GAUDENCIO MEDENILLA:

Mr. Gaudencio Medenilla was the second elected Mayor of San Narciso. Under his administration additional school buildings and artisan water wells were constructed. Roads were likewise improved and repaired. Many civic organizations were organized too.

[p. 15]

Mr. Gaudencio Medenilla is at present the municipal Mayor of San Narciso having served in the same capacity for many years.

4. MR. PIO AQUINO: It was during his administration that the first water system was constructed and realized by the municipality costing the municipal government the sum of P 7,457.00. Many roads and bridges were constructed during his term.

VII - ADMINISTRATION DURING THE JAPANESE OCCUPATION IN SAN NARCISO

1. DEOGRACIAS ARGOSINO: Mr. Argosino was the first municipal Mayor selected by the Japanese authorities. His administration was characterized with hatred, suspicions, internal disorder, and political plots. He was murdered on his way to Malanay by his political enemies.

2. SAMUEL ALLAREY: After the demise of Mayor Argosino, Mr. Allarey succeeded him. The active activities of the guerilla forced him to resign his position as Mayor.

3. MELECIO RAMOS: The administration of Mayor Melecio Ramos was characterized with full harmony and cooperation with the Japanese authorities. There was complete peace and order.

4. MIGUEL FONTANILLA: The administration of Mayor Fontanilla was centered upon the economic life of the people. He required all inhabitants

[p. 16]

to plant all kinds of foods to serve as substitutes for rice. There was food abundance during his administration. The coming of the American forces shortened his term of office. Mr. Gaudencio Medemilla, the present Mayor succeeded him immediately after liberation.

VIII - IMPORTANT INDUSTRIES OF SAN NARCISO.

Endowed with vast lands, cattle raising is the most important industry in this town. As the result of the Japanese occupation in San Narciso which resulted to the careless and continuous slaughter of thousands of heads, this industry has considerably decline in importance. Other industries worthy of mention are farming, stripping buntal, gathering pili resin, and gathering rattan.

The important products of the municipality of San Narciso are cattle, buntal, pili resin, coconuts, buri fibers, and rattan.

Respectfully submitted: (Signed)
SALVADOR E. MACATANGAY
Elementary School Principal

APPROVED:
JOSE M. CANTOS
District Supervisor

scm/

Transcribed from: Historical Data of the Municipality of San Narciso, Province of Quezon, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.
Previous Post