MUNICIPALITY OF MABINI (PANGASINAN), Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data MUNICIPALITY OF MABINI (PANGASINAN), Historical Data of - Philippine Historical Data


Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan

About these Historical Data

[Note to the reader: The original scans of this particular document on file at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections are in such low resolution and severely blurred in parts that confidence in parts of this transcription, especially names, is not very high.]

[Cover page]


[Table of Contents]

T A B L E    O F    C O N T E N T S

1. Letter of Transmittal p. ii
2. Foreword p. iii
3. Historical Data of the Town p. 1
4. History of Education in Mabini Since
the Inception of the Spanish Regime
until the Present Time
p. 5
5. History of Education under America p. 6
6. High School Education in Mabini p. 10

[Letter of Transmittal]


July 31, 1953

The Division Superintendent of Schools
Lingayen, Pangasinan

S i r :

I have the honor to submit herewith the Historical Data regarding the barrios and the town of Mabini as per Memorandum No. 34, s. 1952. I regret to inform this office that many of the data required in the said memorandum could not be included for obvious reasons.

Very respectfully,




This manuscript was prepared by Mr. Artemio N. Braganza, a Social Studies teacher in the Central School of Mabini, with the help of Mr. Samuel Gagui, a Head Teacher of Cabanatuan School, under the chairmanship of Mr. Lazaro Navidad, the principal of the Mabini Elementary School during the school year 1952-1953. The undersigned had to compile the scattered work on the Historical Data of the Town and the History of Education of the Town from the file copies found in the Principal's Office of Mabini.

For lack of other materials as per Memorandum No. 34, s. 1952, which could not be located in the files in spite of the efforts made, the undersigned cannot give a complete report. This is probably due to the absence of the materials in the locality when the study was being undertaken.


[p. 1]


July 15, 1953

Part One - History

1. How the Town Got Its Name
According to the people that first inhabited this town, its first name Balincaguin was derived from the Zambal word "balincaguin," meaning "home of bats." In the olden days, the numerous caves in the mountains of this municipality were inhabited by many bats, so that it was named Balincaguin.
2. Area of the Municipality
The Municipality of Mabini is estimated to have an area of 112,000 square kilometers.
3. Total Population
The total population of Mabini is 9,115 people according to the 1948 Census.
4. Number of Illiterates (latest Census)
The number of illiterates as of Census 1948 was 2/5 of the population — that is, 3,644.
5. Description of the Location

The town of Mabini, as per records found in the old writings, began to exist as a town in the year 1500 A.D., and had its first head (capitan) Mr. Isidro Puson.

Those who built the town Balincaguin had selected as its first site a place which is known today as Convento. In the year 1532 [or 1632, blurred], the town was flooded for the first time. It was said that the Catholic church, the convent, and the houses were under water. This compelled the townspeople to transfer the town site to its present location, engulfed by the mountains and hills surrounding it. The town had adopted Balincaguin as its name until the year 1928, when it was changed to Mabini, its present name.

Due to the accidental burning of the old book called "Padron," in which were written the names of the officials and prominent people of the town, and also of the books of the Catholic church, which could also have helped in unearthing the different data, we cannot, at present, enumerate the names of the people who held offices as jueces de cementera, cabezas de barangay, and tenientes del barrio, except the list of capitanes in presidentes which have been preserved to the present time.

6. Classification of the Municipality
The municipality is classified as fourth class.
7. Annual Income
As per estimates in the 1950-1951 budget, the annual income is ₱10,965.00.
8. Sources of Income
1) Real Property Tax - current year
2) Real Property Tax - other years
3) Residence Tax Allotments
4) Weights and Measures
5) Municipal Licenses
6) Secretary's Fees
7) Cattle Registration Fees
8) Marriage License Fees
9) Fisheries

[p. 2]

Sources of Income - cont'd
10) Rents
11) Market and Slaughterhouse
12) Toll Road
13) Other Receipts
As per Annual Budget 1950-1951
9. Local Industries
The local industries are agriculture and lumbering.
10. Number of Schools (Public and Private)
There are 12 public schools and one private high school which is the River View High School.
11. Name of Alcaldes during the Spanish Regime
Don Isidro Puson
Don Juan Mendoza
Don Roberto Espinosa
Don Juan Eusebio
Don Francisco Dizon
Don Pascual de la Cruz
Don Nicolas Galla
Don Antonio de Mendoza
Don Lorenzo Panullar
Don Domingo Alejandro
Don Francisco de la Rosa
Don Francisco Paragas
Don Juan Salazar
Don Vicente Dizon
Don Jacinto de Mendoza
Don Nicolas Galla
Don Jacinto de Mendoza
Roberto Espinoza
Don Benito de la Rosa
Don Jose de la Cruz
Don Miguel Roque
Don Mariano de Mendoza
Don Basilio de la Rosa
Don Gregorio Galla
Don Simeon Carambas
Don Antonio Francisco
Don Juan Fermin
Don Jose de la Cruz
Don Jose Santiago
Don Juan Rivera
Don Vicente Dizon
Don Francisco de Aquino
Don Sabas Rodriguez
Don Jose de la Cruz
Don Antonio Domingo
Don Juan Damian
Don Miguel de la Cruz
Don Juan Estrada
Don Juan Dizon
Don Juan Rivera
Don Urbano Ferrer
Don Hilario de la Cruz
Don Agapito Francisco
Don Nazario de la Cruz
Don Carlos de los Reyes
Don Ambrocio Ramos
Don Claudio de San Miguel
Don Cecilio Estrada
Don Gregorio de Mendoza
Don Martin Rivera

[p. 3]

Names of Alcaldes during the Spanish Regime - cont'd
Don Cipriano de Mendoza
Don Santiago Balcorta
Don Juan Bautista de Guzman
Don Agapito Braganza
Don Cipriano de Mendoza
Don Leoncio Estrada
Don Ponciano Padilla
Don Cecilio Estrada
Don Agapito Braganza
Don Agapito Braganza
Don Hipolito Braganza
Don Juan Bautista de Guzman
Don Juan Bautista de Guzman
Don Canuto Ferrer
Don Canuto Ferrer
Don Pedro Rodriguez
Don Pedro Rodriguez
Don Juan Bautista de Guzman
Don Juan Bautista de Guzman
Don Felix Arum
Don Felix Arum
Don Martin Rivera
Don Martin Rivera
Don Agapito Braganza
Don Agapito Braganza
Don Domingo Rodriguez
Don Domingo Rodriguez
Don Pedro Rodriguez
Don Pedro Rodriguez
Don Hipolito Braganza
Don Hipolito Braganza
Don Nicolas Rivera
Don Nicolas Rivera
Don Patricio Braganza
Don Nazario Aban
Don Andonino Arum
Don Andonino Arum
Don Guillermo Valderama
Don Guillermo Valderama
Don Aniceto Rivera
Don Aniceto Rivera
Don Escolastico del Barrio
Don Escolastico del Barrio
Don Bruno Braganza
Don Cirilo Braganza
Don Cirilo Braganza
Don Bruno Braganza
Don Antonio Rivera
Don Antonio Rivera
Don Bruno Braganza
Don Cirilo Braganza
12. Names of Presidents during the Commonwealth
The following is the list of the different names of the presidents during the Commonwealth:
Don Cirilo Braganza
Don Bruno Braganza
Don Marcelo Braganza

In the year 1898, the people of Balincaguin cried simultaneously with the cries of their brothers in Balintawak, "DOWN WITH SPAIN!" In the month of March 1898, the secret society, which was a branch of the Katipunan, rose in revolt. The assaults on the cuartel showed the bravery of the Balincaguin patriots. With only bolos to match the Spanish rifles, the local Katipuneros assaulted the cuartel one early dawn. The Katipuneros could not possibly enter the cuartel for all the doors were securely bolted. They stayed under the cuartel trying to strike blindly through the flooring. Seeing the impossibility, they decided to burn the cuartel and succeeded in their attempt.

Many lives were wasted in the act of burning the cuartel, both the Katipuneros and the Spanish soldiers.

[p. 4]

The K.K.K. ruled the town for three days. On the fourth day, a company of Spanish soldiers arrived. Another fierce battle was fought and the Katipuneros were driven away. The townspeople who were hiding since the outbreak at once went to the town knowing that peace was restored on the fourth day. On the fifth day, the Spaniards appointed Don Marcelo Braganza as capitan of Balincaguin.

In the year 1904, the Municipality of Balincaguin was made a barrio of Burgos, called San Isidro before. It was believed that the financial status could no longer support its status as a municipality, so it was made a barrio of Burgos until the year 1909, when it was made again into a municipality.

The following is a list of the Presidents:

1904 to 1905
1906 to 1907
1910 to 1911
1912 to 1915
1916 to 1919
1920 to 1925
1926 to 1927
1928 to 1933
1934 to 1939
1940 to 1944
1945 to 1946
1947 up to the present time
Don Paulino de Mendoza (Burgos)
Don Francisco Bustamante (Burgos)
Don Jacinto Braga (Burgos)
Don Paulino Rodriguez
Don Marcelo Braganza
Don Simeon del Barrio
Don Modesto Ferrer
Don Jose Braganza
Don Modesto Ferrer
Don Lope Braganza
Don Pedro Rodriguez
Don Felimon Arum
Don Angel Taontao
Don Demetrio Braganza
The following are the present municipal officials:
Don Demetrio Braganza
Mr. Gil M. Bustamante
Mr. Aniceto Ancheta
Mr. Abraham Ramos
Atty. Federico Cristobal
Dr. Claudio [unreadable]
Mrs. Marcelina M. Tacatas
Mr. Buenaventura Castro
Mr. Alberto Braganza
Mr. Mr. Florentino Lopez
Mr. Bienvenido Ferrer
Mr. Braulio Nacional
Mr. Juan Birog
Mr. Leonardo Birog
Mr. Apolinario Vanguardia
Municipal Mayor
Municipal Secretary
Municipal Treasurer
Justice of the Peace
President-Sanitary Division
Puericulture Center Nurse
Assistant Sanitary Inspector
Chief of Police

The town of Balincaguin, at present, is divided into seven (7) municipal districts. These seven districts are under the guidance of the Vice-Mayor and the six Councilors. The districts are as follows:

First District:

This district is composed of the poblacion and the barrio of Calzada. The poblacion is traversed by the different streets and the provincial road connecting Mabini to the town of Alaminos to the north and to the town of Burgos to the south. The municipal plaza is located at the heart of the town, having an area of about a hectare. On the southern part of the plaza, the Catholic church stands majestically, reminiscent of the old Spanish regime. In the north stand the Mabini Elementary School and to the west stands the Municipal Building, built during the administration of the Hon. Modesto Ferrer as President. There are two artesian wells and a concrete market in the poblacion.

The barrio of Calzada derived its name from the Spanish word of the same name, calzada meaning "road." In the first years that this town existed, the people of this barrio constructed voluntarily a good road connecting it to the poblacion. When the government constructed the road from Mabini to Burgos, the same old road built by the people

[p. 5]

of this barrio was followed. Since then, this barrio was named Calzada. The barrio is composed of five sitios, namely, Sipacsipacan, San Agustin, Doña Maria, Dosok, and Sampat.

Second District: Barrio of Cabinuangan

This barrio derived its name from the Pangasinan word banuang. Banuang is a kind of tree belonging to the third group. This tree grows in abundance in this barrio. The settlers who first came to this place, seeing the abundance of banuang trees, at once called it Cabinuangan, meaning a place where this tree grew. This barrio is composed of twelve sitios, namely, Patad, Siñgat, sorsor, Inmandayan, Arenas, Capandanan, Polipol, Mapotec, Caila, Bugayong, Pandoona, and Don Martin.

Third District: Barrio of Magalong

Neither the people of this barrio nor the people of other places could give any data concerning the origin of the name Magalong. This barrio is composed of seven sitios, namely, Laboc, Polong, Lalaroran, Biga, Libaong ya malag, Libaong ya balag, and Camangaan.

Fourth District: Barrio of Caranglaan

This barrio derived its name from the Pangasinan word "dangla." Dangla is the name of a tree, and because this kind of tree was so numerous in this place, they named it Caranglaan, meaning a place where this tree grew. This barrio is composed of ten sitios, namely, Pogon David, Pogon Sayap, Ari, Tambacan, Dacok, Doña Rosa, Sinnisbaan ya malag, Aparpali, Sinsili, and Mendoza.

Fifth District: Barrio of Tagudin

Tagudin, La Union, plays an important part in the building of this barrio. It is said that the first settlers of this place were immigrant Ilocanos coming from Tagudin, La Union. These immigrants, in order to feel as if they were at home, named the place where they settled Tagudin. Since then, a barrio named Tagudin was born in the town of Balincaguin, Mabini of today. Nine sitios comprise this barrio, namely, Balayang, Cuala, Imbo, Sapa, Tablog, Tinmori, Laragan, Adgan-Añgan, and Alimbayosan.

Sixth District: Barrio of Bacnit

This barrio, same as the barrio of Magalong, does not have any history as to how it derived its name. But it has the distinction of being the largest barrio in Mabini. It was few people owing to the fact that it's so mountainous and most of its land is covered with dense forest. The forest in this barrio produces first to fourth groups of timber and is reported to be the largest in western Pangasinan. This barrio is composed of many sitios, namely, Hibalso, Santa Rita, Padir, Calong, Tangin, Cabunan, Oras balag, Ambotal, Tinmori, Mabaobao, Caagooan, Tanec, Pecac, Malibong, Inaingan, Olooan, Kiramay, [unreadable], Anno, Manognagan, Barlo, Norebat, Tabag, Mansol, Calampang, Tagalog, Nantabacoan, Dinnalagan, Cataratangan, Totolma, Sorer, Sali, Andoc, Maigogolgol, Tebay, Tibi, Mansañgaan, Apayas, Balita, Trece, Mapdipot, Barit, Cabalalaoan, and Tondol.

Seventh District: Cabanaetan

Long ago, this barrio was called Crossdiksion. As the people became more educated, the name was changed to Cabanaetan this way: the barrio is surrounded by Alaminos in the east, Bani in the north, Agno in the northeast, Burgos in the south, and Mabini in the southeast. Each municipality has a barrio situated at the boundary lines [unreadable] this barrio. For this reason, they called the place Cabanaetan. The following are its sitios: Coliat, Salomagui, Caplasan, Ma-asin, and Cacaronsiyan.


The town of Mabini, which is better known as "Balincaguin," is a fourth class municipality with a population of over nine thousand (9,000) souls, is situated in the western part of Pangasinan. This town began to exist as a town in the year 1800 A.D.

Since the inception of the Spanish Regime, the Spanish friars who served as Spanish priests in Mabini were the moving spirit in the educational movement. In their desire to propagate the Catholic religion, parochial schools were established and the parish priests acted as teachers. They taught only the rudiments of learning like the three R's and the Christian doctrine. For schoolhouses, the

[p. 6]

ground floor of the convent, a portion of the stables as well as the tribunal, where the present school building now stands, served the purpose.

Among the Spanish friars responsible for the spread of education in this municipality were Father Epifanio Vergara, Silverio Montoya, Eduardo Valdez, and many others. In their enthusiasm to advance the cause of education, they taught the natives Reading and Writing in Spanish, Arithmetic, and Music. The Spanish friars taught the natives also to build better houses made of wood and stone of the antiquated type which are the reminiscences of Spanish domination in this portion of the globe. The native children were bright pupils notwithstanding the defective method of teaching employed by the friars. They learned the Spanish language and other things taught to them with ease. Within a few years, much to the amazement of their teachers, these natives who were branded as Indios and incapable of learning by the Spaniards could write and speak the Spanish language fluently and could write Spanish and vernacular poems, dramas, and stories. Many of them could dance the polka, cariñosa, surtido, and the rigodon, which were introduced by the Spaniards who happened to reside in this town.

Among the students who showed unusual talents were Don Domingo, Pedro, and Escolastico Rodriguez, Don Cirilo Braganza, former assemblyman of the First District of Pangasinan. Some of them became teachers and capitanes during the Spanish regime which proved their worth.

The year 1863 marked a new era in the history of Spanish education in the Philippines, for the first primary public schools were established in the Islands. As a result of this decree, Mabini was allotted one primary school for boys and one for girls. Instruction in these schools, which were opened in this town, was free and compulsory for all children between the ages of 7 and 12. Teachers were trained in the normal school in Manila. The subjects offered in the primary school for boys were Christian Doctrine, Morals, Sacred History, Reading, Writing, the Spanish language, Arithmetic, General Geography and History of Spain, Practical Agriculture, Good Manners and Right Conduct, and Vocal Music. The subjects taught in the girls' primary school were the same except Writing and Spanish, for which more suitable subjects were substituted. Needlework had a prominent place in the girls' school. Teaching, however, was not very effective due to the lack of textbooks. No appreciable instruction was introduced in the barrios except the teaching of the cartilla and the caton, which were taught by the older folks in the barrio in their own homes.

This sytem of education was being continued and adopted until the very close of the Spanish rule, when war between Spain and the United States took place. Spain, as a result of the war, was defeated; and the United States took control of the Islands in 1898.

Among the glaring faults of the educational system introduced by Spain were influction [influxion?] of corporal punishment, which discouraged boys and girls to attend schools; too much emphasis on religion, thus neglecting the economic side; giving opportunities only to the sons of the rich and the well-to-do to acquire higher learning and to neglect the poor, who could not go to Manila to pursue their studies. Unlike at present, the playing of athletic games was neglected during the Spanish regime. However, the educational system introduced by Spain in this municipality contributed in no small measure to the cultural and religious well-being of some of the natives in this town.


In 1899, when peace and order once more reigned in our shores, the Americans brought a new system of education to the Philippines very much different to that of Spain. It was patterned after that of the United States as it was free, popular, and democratic. English was the medium of instruction. As soon as the military government was established, American soldiers acted as teachers. The opening of schools throughout the Islands as well as in Mabini showed the best indication of American goodwill to us. As a result of the opening of schools in the

[p. 7]

Philippines, Mabini was allowed to open one primary school in the poblacion. Children were given books, pencils, paper, and slates free. Children of all walks of life attended school. As there were no schoolhouses such as we have now, classes were held in the convent and in private homes. Among the teachers employed were former provincial board member Ferrer and Mr. Mariano Nazareno and some others.

As the primary schools established in the poblacion were not in a position to cope with the increasing enrolment, private tutors taught in their own homes to meet the demand. Among these teachers were former assemblyman Don Cirilo Braganza, Don Cosme and Domingo Rodriguez. The cartilla as well as the caton, Spanish grammar, and Arithmetic served as the basis of instruction. During this time, Mabini was then a part of the District of Alaminos. A complete primary course was offered with seventh grade graduates as teachers who were employed in these schools. Among the teachers employed were Mrs. Aurelia V. del Barrio, Mr. Clemente Valderama, and Mr. Mauro Rodriguez. Mr. John M. Masning Butler, an American negro, was the supervising teacher as Mabini was then a part of the District of Alaminos. When he left the district, he was succeeded by Filipino supervising teachers like Mr. Narciso Jaramillo, Mr. Julio Castillo, and several others.

As there were no intermediate classes in this town during that time, pupils, after finishing their primary course, flocked to the neighboring towns such as Alaminos and Agno, where they continued their studies. In the year 1915, an intermediate class was opened in Mabini; and it was housed temporarily in a private building. Mr. Emilio Braganza, who is at present teaching at the Central School, was the first intermediate teacher. The following two years, the fifth and sixth grade classes were opened as the enrolment increased in this town. The third year, a seventh grade class was opened, thus completing the intermediate course in this town. This system of education continued until the Educational Act of 1940 was passed by the Philippine Congress. As a result of the passing of this law, the elementary course was shortened from seven years to six years; and the double single session was now adopted and that the seventh grade class was abolished.

The year 1942 marked the change in the field of education in the Philippines. This was during the Japanese occupation. It was the month of August when schools were allowed to open, but the system of education introduced by Japan was very different from the one initiated by America. The school was opened in the poblacion only and three teachers were employed. Very few children attended school as they were not in favor of the Japanese control in this place. Niponggo was taught side by side with English and the National Language. Textbooks in English the pages of which had American pictures on them were severed or torn away. Miss Zabala of Dagupan, who studied Niponggo in Manila, taught in Mabini, but the children did not take much interest in learning this foreign language.

When the Philippines was liberated from Japanese control in 1945, the schools were reopened in the month of August under the supervision of the PCAU. Many teachers who served before the outbreak of the war in the year 1941 returned to duty. Later on, the administration of schools was turned over to the Philippine government under the newly-created Department of Education on July 4, 1946. America granted us our much-coveted independence. The Stars and Stripes were brought down and the Filipino flag was unfurled alone and the Philippines became a member of the free nations of the world. However, the system of education introduced by America remained unchanged. The Educational Act of 1940 is still followed and a Filipino National Language is being taught side by side with the English language. Education is free, popular, and democratic; and English and the National Language are the mediums of instruction. Education in this town received greater impetus with the opening of more schools in the barrios, so that more teachers are being employed due to the increasing enrolment. Community improvements and adult education are being

[p. 8]

stressed so that much improvement toward this direction has been accomplished. There are, at present, 12 schools in all in this municipality, with a total population of 1998 pupils and 44 teachers.

During the Spanish regime, education in the rural areas was not given any attention. No school was established by the government in the barrios. Those interested to study had to go to the poblacion. However, there were some Filipinos who were able to get more education in the poblacion. These Filipinos taught the cartilla, caton, and doctrina in the barrios as private tutors. They used their own houses as schoolhouses.

When the Americans came, many schools were established in the barrios. The first barrio to open a class was Cabinuangan. It was in the year 1906 when Mr. Timoteo Braganza was sent to open a first grade class in this barrio. A private house was rented for this purpose. Boys and girls were encouraged to enrol. The school continued up to the year 1938.

In 1919-1920, the school was closed because the people could not secure a school site which was a requisite in opening a school. Some pupils were able to continue their studies in the poblacion, while those who could not afford were forced to stop.

In the year 1921, a school site was donated by Don Lope Braganza. A temporary school building was built with one teacher up to 1946. In 1947-1948, a Grade II class was opened; thus, one more teacher was assigned to this barrio. Grades I and II continued up to the year 1948. The following year, Grade III was opened, thus, another teacher was sent to this school. This school year, 1951-1952, a complete elementary school is now existing with a semi-permanent school building consisting of four rooms.

In 1915, another barrio school was opened in Magalong. It was opened by Mr. Timoteo Braganza, who was transferred from Cabinuangan. The next year, Mr. Braganza was transferred to another barrio, and Mr. Clemente Valderama succeeded him. In 1917, Mr. Valderama was sent to open another barrio school. Mr. Modesto Ferrer took the place of Mr. Valderama. As years passed and enrolment increased and more classes were opened in this barrio, a complete elementary course with four teachers is now found, with Mr. Melanio D. Mendoza was the Head Teacher. This barrio has a semi-permanent building with three rooms and a temporary building with two rooms.

With the introduction of education in rural areas, the barrio of Bacnit opened also its school. It was in the year 1919 when Mr. Jose Rivera was sent to open a class in Grade I with 40 pupils. A school site was donated by Don Juan Mendoza. As soon as the document for the donation was ratified, a temporary building was constructed to house the Grade One class. The school in this site did not last long due to the decrease in enrolment, so that it was closed after 2 years. As this school site was not centrally located in the barrio, the people tried to look for a better site. When Don Lope Braganza was the mayor, he succeeded in convincing the people to open a school again in this barrio.

A new site was secured which is centrally located in the barrio. The mayor approached the owners of the land and succeeded in securing this new school site for the barrio. It was donated by Don Tomas de Leon, Mr. Silvestre Obese and Mr. Leon Estrada, with an area of about one hectare. A temporary building was built through the efforts of Don Pedro Rodriguez, who was, at this time, Mayor of Mabini. Thus, the school was opened again in 1935 with Mr. Julio Villacarin as the teacher. In 1945, this barrio was given a pork barrel so that a temporary semi-permanent school building was constructed. A one-room temporary school building is due for completion at the end of October 1951. Mr. Cornelio Abon is the head teacher

[p. 9]

with two teachers under him. Improvement in this barrio is slow due tot he poverty of the people and the solicitations of the dissident elements.

In the year 1918, a new school was opened in the barrio of Caranglaan. This school was opened by Mr. Severo Balbos with about 40 pupils in Grade I. The pupils were encouraged to come to school. A school site was donated by Mrs. Rosa Rodriguez, a widow. With the approval of the deed of donation, a temporary building was constructed to house the Grade I pupils. Later, a semi-permanent one-room schoolhouse was constructed. As the enrolment increased during the succeeding years, a temporary school building with 4 rooms was built, thus completing the elementary course in this barrio. At present, a Home Economics Building is under construction. Mr. Ernesto Ramos is the head teacher with 4 teachers under his charge. It is encouraging to state that the Elementary School of Caranglaan is a model barrio school and has a wide playground where barrio and town meets are being held every year. There are lots of attractions nowadays that make the pupils come to school, so without doubt, Caranglaan will have a steady progress in the field of education in the years to come.

The barrio of Cabanaetan is not behind in educating her sons and daughters. In the year 1920, Mr. Edgardo Jimenez was sent there to open a Grade I class in this barrio. The class was housed in a private building. As soon as a school site was secured, a semi-permanent school building was erected in the year 1935. In 1938, a complete primary course was opened in this school. As enrolment increased in the year 1949, a complete elementary course was opened. An additional temporary schoolhouse was erected by the P.T.A. in the following year. This year, Mr. Sergio Braganza is the head teacher, with three teachers under him. With the increasing number of school children, thus, a complete elementary school will remain to be opened every year in this barrio.

Tracing back the history of education is the barrio of Tagulin, and comparing it to the present, one may notice a great difference. In the early days, the people of this barrio were illiterates. With the establishment of the present educational system, many people in this barrio now can read and write. In the pre-American regime, there were no public schools. Very few could read and write. The only means of educating the people was to study the cartilla and caton with private tutors.

At the coming of the Americans, the people became more interested in education. The first public barrio school in Tagulin was opened in 1927. Mr. Macario Maniling was the first teacher in this school. He was succeeded by several teachers who were assigned in different school years. This school has, at present, a semi-permanent school building and a good site. But in spite of this condition, the enrolment in this school has not increased, so that there is only one teacher up to the present time. Mrs. Natalia D. Bautista is the lonely teacher.

The year 1938 marked the opening of two barrio schools, namely Balayang and Calzada. As soon as the school site was secured, Balayang opened a First Grade class. Mrs. Eustasia C. Ramos was sent to open the first grade class in this school. The progress of this school has been steady up to the present time. There is now a complete elementary course in this barrio, with four teachers. Mr. Catalino I. Abalos is the head teacher. According to the plan of the barrio people, the present temporary school building will be provided with galvanized iron roofing and a Home Economics Building is to be constructed. With the cooperation of the P.T.A., the dreams of the barrio folks will surely be realized.

The school of Calzada, which was opened in the same year as Balayang, is housed at present in a semi-permanent building in a spacious school site. Miss Remedios Rodriguez, a charming beauty

[p. 10]

of Mabini, was the first to open the school in this barrio. The school was housed in the private residence of Mr. Melchor Espinosa, who was benevolent enough to offer his house without any rental. In the year 1939, a school site was donated where the present school building now stands. With the steady progress of education in this barrio, there are now two teachers. Mr. Emilio Braganza, one of the oldest teachers at present in Mabini with 32 years of experience in the teaching service, is now the head teacher. The First Grade class is housed temporarily in the barrio chapel. The barrio folks are planning to construct and additional room to the present school building.

The barrio schools of Calong and Laragan were opened after the liberation in the same year, 1946. Calong is situated in a mountainous region where the houses are far apart. Through the earnest efforts of Don Pedro Rodriguez, a prominent leader of his town, a school site was secured by donation. Due to the poverty of the people in this barrio, the school has not, up t the present time, constructed a good school building. The three classes in this school are housed in two temporary buildings with cogon roofs and walls of coconut leaves and bamboo. The first teacher who was sent to open this school was Mr. Pedro Celerino. The following year, a Second Grade class was opened with an additional teacher. At present, there are three classes in this barrio including a Fifth Grade class. Mr. Gregorio B. Reyes is the head teacher. Miss Clarita Comintan, a P.T.S. graduate, was sent to open an extension class in this barrio.

In admiration of the man, Don Pedro Rodriguez, who made possible the opening of a school in this place, the barrio was named in his honor, San Pedro.

Laragan, another barrio school in the mountainous region of Mabini, was not behind Calong in opening a school. Mr. Gaqui, who is at present the head teacher of Cabdauangan, was sent to open a school in this barrio. As the enrolment increased, a complete primary school was offered. In the year 1950, a Fifth Grade class was opened by, the following year, 1951, was an unfortunate year for Laragan. Incidents happened in this place when the dissidents and the P.C. fought two times. The inhabitants were scared and fled for their safety to the barrio of Tagudin, where the classes were temporarily housed in a private building. The intermediate class was closed due to the lack of enrolment. Mr. Nazario G. Hilario is the head teacher, handling Grades III & IV. His wife is in charge of Grades I & II in the same school. With the present unsettled conditions, no one can tell when the school will return to its former location.

Before the opening of the barrio school of Bitnong, there were to rival places for the opening of a school, namely, Sta. Rita and Bitnong. Finally, through the energetic efforts of the Municipal Mayor Mr. Demetrio Braganza, and the barrio lieutenant of Bitnong, a class was organized in the year 1950. Mr. Jose Rivera was sent to open a class consisting of 44 pupils who were housed temporarily in a private building during the first semester. Through the untiring efforts of the barrio lieutenant and the teacher, a temporary school building was constructed and in the second semester, the school was transferred to this building in a school site that was donated by the brothers of the same barrio. With the present construction of a good road to this barrio, undoubtedly, this barrio school will grow in the years to come.


The year 1947 was another stride in the field of education in Mabini. Mr. Felipe G. Reyes and Mr. Crisostomo Tamarino, with the permission of the Director of Private Schools, opened a private high school which was named the River View High School. This high school is being established to help ambitious students who cannot afford to study in other places due to financial difficulties.

The opening of this institution encourages children to enrol

[Note to the reader: The transcription ends here because the original scanned file at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections is incomplete and ends with the previous page.]

Transcribed from:
Historical Data Regarding the Town of Mabini (Pangasinan) and Its Barrios, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections. The pagination in this transcription is as they appear in the original document.
Next Post Previous Post